friendsofudvdr.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows 10

5 posters

Go down

Windows 10 Empty Windows 10

Post by leseil612 Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:27 pm

Bloody Windows 10 for no apparent reason it refused to boot up must be over 2 weeks ago and I could not get it back. I had sensibly made a copy off the download when I first got W10 but when I tried to use it, it asked for the Key which I have not got and do not know where or how to get one. Anyway Yesterday I managed to get my windows 10 back but at the expense of losing everything all my programms. The majority of the programmes I have disks for and could get them back if only I had not kept the keys on the computer on an encrypted programme and that has gone too. These things are sent to try us ..... and they bloody do.
leseil612
leseil612

Back to top Go down

Windows 10 Empty Re: Windows 10

Post by KT Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:50 pm

I had the same problem with my MSI Laptop.  I started the upgrade from Win7 Ultimate to Win10 Pro and during the upgrade the Laptop rebooted to initiate the installation of Win10 and nothing happened. I could not recover either Win7 or Win10.

I had to do a clean install of Win7 Ultimate again. I Think I will stick with Win7 on my MSI laptop.

Luckily I backed up everything and I have all the original Software keys.

I have upgraded many other laptops / PC's from Win7 and Win8.1 with no problems.

As you said. "These things are sent to try us ..... and they bloody do."
KT
KT
Admin (almost) God
Admin (almost) God

Back to top Go down

Post by leseil612 Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:49 pm

iF ONLY i HAD PUT ALL MY KEYS ONTO A STICK OR JUST ONTO WINDOWS WORD AND THEN PRINTED IT OFF. NO USE STARTING TO THINK AFTER THE EVENT HOWEVER.
Ces't la vie
leseil612
leseil612

Back to top Go down

Post by zebadee Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:02 am

leseil612 wrote:iF ONLY i HAD PUT ALL MY KEYS ONTO A STICK OR JUST ONTO WINDOWS WORD AND THEN PRINTED IT OFF. NO USE STARTING TO THINK AFTER THE EVENT HOWEVER.
Ces't la vie
Hi Smile
Ever thought of emailing the "keys/serial #" to yourself.
Save these in a folder marked "Serials etc".
The beauty of this is.......
Just copy & paste....
Drag & drop...
Done this for years. gent

Last edited by zebadee on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
zebadee
zebadee

http://www.friendsofudvdr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by leseil612 Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:06 pm

That is a great idea Martin, I wish that I had thought of that before, I will certainly do it in future. However, there is a god, my encrypted programme called "ALL MY NOTES" was still in my downloads, which were not lost and when I re-installed it all my keys were there. I can only assume that all my data was saved in their cloud. I am still going to follow your tip, belt and braces from now on.

Sorry for your loss KT but with your knowledge it will just be a hiccup.
leseil612
leseil612

Back to top Go down

Post by Alby Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:11 am

That is why I'd be too scared to upgrade. The older PC sitting in the garage...still ticking along... with Vista !
This one is on Win 8.1, 64bit( if that means anything) and 8G RAM... and is running beautifully. It'll be a loooong time before we upgrade this one.
Still got an ancient laptop running on XP... only used for playing music at work.
Alby
Alby

Back to top Go down

Post by leseil612 Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:33 pm

You only have 12 months to get windows 10 free through your windows 8.1 OS. My Win 10 seems to have settled down nicely since I have been more selective as to putting some of my old programs back on. With hindsight I would have waited at least three month before I put win 10 on.
leseil612
leseil612

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:27 pm

Microsoft has lost appeal... I think they lost their focus. I am using Windows 10, but things about it annoy me. I finally turned off the annoying "Try Office 365" adds yesterday after dealing with them every couple of days. I don't like the ability they have to make it an Ad-Ware OS. Their store is a joke. As a consumer, I know what software I want. Have been using computers for years. I am not a PC gamer. It's a tool. I build my own because I don't want the bloat and adds that have been coming on your consumer based computers for years. I am still using Windows based workstation as I can build one that suites my needs. But for roughly the last 4/5 years I have been using OS X on a MacBook pro. Love the OS... Just wish I could easily build and install it on a desktop. I know there are Hackintosh options, but it seems like too much work ongoing when I just want to boot up and use the damn machine without worrying about Apple trying to kill it. I wish Apple was more open but understand why their OS is one of the most stable I have used... they build for the hardware they support. I wish Windows was more UNIX like more and more... More effecient... less bloat. It's usable and a new Windows build for me will come next year I am sure. Been using this old i7 2600K for a few years now and RAW processing lags a bit with Adobe LR.
SithTracy
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by leseil612 Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:55 pm

My latest annoyance with Win 10 pro is that in my "view your update history" which is accessed through settings I have got literally dozens (I have just counted them) there are 54 updates which all say Failed to install The wording is not in red I just highlighted it because it is pissing me off. In most cases it is more failures in attempting to update the same update.
I am beginning to lose the will to live.
While I am on a moaning spree.....I can upload all my emails but then I cannot open any of then.
leseil612
leseil612

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:08 am

No such issue here with Windows 10 Pro, Les, but I have seen malware prevent Windows updates from happening.  Pull down MalwareBytes and check your system out.  You can always do a clean install.
SithTracy
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by leseil612 Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:41 pm

Thank you Tracy, I will get malware bytes and give it a go.
leseil612
leseil612

Back to top Go down

Post by zebadee Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:09 pm

leseil612 wrote:Thank you Tracy, I will get malware bytes and give it a go.

Hi Smile
Try free version 1st.
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
zebadee
zebadee

http://www.friendsofudvdr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by leseil612 Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:19 pm

My son returned from some overseas posting, god knows where as he cannot or will not say. (this was a few months ago) Being involved in counter intelligence he knows his way around a computer anyway he started again from scratch with my computer and it has worked brilliantly since. It is obvious that I made a balls of the initial download and made some wrong choices.
Ces't la vie. BUT I AM NOW A BIG FAN OF WINDOWS 10. I still suspect that there will be some catch down the road with this free offering but I will enjoy it before it hits me. LOL
leseil612
leseil612

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:04 pm

I am liking the Windows 10 a little more after the anniversary update, but I like macOS (or still OS X) a little more. As a part time photographer, I don't have to worry about it. It just works. I don't have to tinker with it. I do like to build my PC's though and it's been a few years, but thinking next spring I will build a new one. Laptops though... Mac's for sure. In the end, they are just tools.
SithTracy
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alby Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:51 am

No.... Still Happy with my decision to go back to 8.1
Allows me to use certain programs that Win 10 clagged up.

Speed is an issue...... Might try a complete re-install unless anyone can suggest something... a disc clean tool...
Alby
Alby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down