friendsofudvdr.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cables: HDMI vs Component

4 posters

Go down

Cables: HDMI vs Component Empty Cables: HDMI vs Component

Post by Alby Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:02 am

Tell me guys...
HDMI and component cables.
Which is better?
I use both. The HDMI is worth around $50 (aus). The Comp. leads are worth almost as much. Paid a fraction of that as the bloke was clearing his stock (only $10). These are top quality Hi Res leads... nice and thick... gold plated plugs etc.
I know the sky's the limit with the HDMI's but there is no way I'm paying big $$ for one lead.
Has anyone gone from comp's to HDMI leads and got big (if any) improvement in picture and sound quality and what would you pay for it ?

Very curious...
Alby
Alby

Back to top Go down

Cables: HDMI vs Component Empty Re: Cables: HDMI vs Component

Post by sanshoe Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:34 am

HDMI cables are a good idea, they eliminate the need for lots of cables at the back of yor equipment.
I allways use hdmi cables over composite cables, although the older equipment doesn't have HDMI connections.
The cheaper HDMI cables work ok.
sanshoe
sanshoe
Extreme contributor
Extreme contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Alby Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:54 am

I agree with the fact they are only 'one cable' but surely the fact that each cable (wire) in it would be smaller than the comp cables.
I'm using a HDMI lead from the Blu Ray player to the plasma at present, but tempted to try the other leads and try to spot the diff.
Same with some my older equipment Andrew... no HDMI sockets.
Alby
Alby

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:26 am

Component cables are going the way of the DoDo bird. My Samsung HDTV went caput recently and I had to buy a new set. Was hard to find an LED television with them. I ended up with a Panasonic Viera but it has a special adapter. Only needed them to hook the Nintento Wii up to and that device does not do HD anyway. Kids started playing that again... But that console is heading DoDo as well!
SithTracy
SithTracy

Back to top Go down

Post by zebadee Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:11 pm

Alby wrote:I agree with the fact they are only 'one cable' but surely the fact that each cable (wire) in it would be smaller than the comp cables.
I'm using a HDMI lead from the Blu Ray player to the plasma at present, but tempted to try the other leads and try to spot the diff.
Same with some my older equipment Andrew... no HDMI sockets.

Hi Smile
It is all about resistances.
Plus the "better" conventional cables are often directional.
That said.
HDMI is the best if supported properly.
The truly great thing about HDMI cables.
£10 (GBP) will get you as good as you can get.
The only reason for paying more would relate to interference problems.
Then more effective screening/better connectivity via plug/socket.
May have gains for you.

Which magazine.
Don’t fall for the HDMI cable “con”

How much would you pay for an HDMI cable? That is, the cable that brings high definition footage to your telly. A tenner? Well, some retailers and manufacturers are trying to push £100 cables.

This HDMI cable issue isn’t new. It’s been going on ever since high definition TVs made their way into our homes.

So why do we think it’s a problem? Last January we went undercover to the UK’s biggest electrical chains to see if their shop floor knowledge was up to scratch. The hard selling of expensive cables was the most worrying.

According to many of the assistants we asked, a pricey HDMI cable was “essential” for good quality HD viewing. However, we’ve found that a £10 cable will do a perfectly good job. Currys lists a £110 Monster HDMI cable on its website, with John Lewis selling a £100 Peerless cable.

Our HDMI cable research
Yes, you will need an HDMI cable if you want to watch high definition content on your TV, whether it’s from your Sky Plus HD box, Blu-ray player or PlayStation 3 (although early Xbox 360’s used VGA cables to support an HD output). However, since it’s a digital cable, the signal either works or it doesn’t. There’s no need for all the fancy pants extras.

Last year we tested three HDMI cables at different price points; £10, £20 and £100. The results weren’t a surprise – the cheapest lead proved just as good as the most expensive. Our experts saw no difference in picture quality, with our tests also confirming identical performance.

So, pricey HDMI leads do not make for a better viewing experience. Retailers and manufacturers might try and make you splash out on one, but they’re really not worth it. This is even true with the latest HDMI v1.4, or HDMI High Speed with Ethernet, cables.

Don’t splash out on HDMI cables
In response to these expensive leads, electronics manufacturer Kogan has announced that it will give shoppers a free HDMI cable if they have recently bought a TV from Currys or John Lewis. The company’s boss, Ruslan Kogan, explains why it’s launched the give-away:

‘At Kogan, we think it’s extremely unfair for someone who shells out their heard-earned money on a new TV to be shafted on cables and accessories because of a deliberate misinformation campaign by the big retailers.’

So, have you felt pressured into buying an expensive cable? How much would you spend on a lead for your TV, and did you know that cheaper HDMI cables offer exactly the same quality?

zebadee
zebadee

http://www.friendsofudvdr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Alby Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Aaahh.

Thanks guys.
And Zebs... you answered my next question.(ESP mate !)
Tracy... interesting point re Wii. We have a couple at home.
Alby
Alby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum