friendsofudvdr.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

home alone dvd rip results in a square video

5 posters

Go down

home alone dvd rip results in a square video Empty home alone dvd rip results in a square video

Post by startreksuite Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:48 am

Hi everyone! Been ripping Christmas DVDs, to put on my media player. My widescreen movies are no problem, but the fullscreen videos are ending up having four sides letterboxed, so it's a square video. I would love to fill the screen, like my dvds do. I'm not sure if I need to up or lower the resolution. I read somewhere it should be 640x480 for a fullscreen, and my end result is much larger. Any help would be much appreciated.
startreksuite
startreksuite

Back to top Go down

home alone dvd rip results in a square video Empty Re: home alone dvd rip results in a square video

Post by Admin Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:55 am

Hi Smile
Time - priorities mean I've had little time to try this (latest version) program out.
What programs I know.
Free - Freemake

Paid for program (in my opinion currently the best value for money):
Magic DVD software

Magic currently the best for Blu-ray too. (IMHO)
"Magic" Blu-ray Ripper

Admin
Admin
Senile!!! (+ other things I forget)

https://friendsofudvdr.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

home alone dvd rip results in a square video Empty Re: home alone dvd rip results in a square video

Post by startreksuite Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:53 pm

So in ripping dvds I have used magic dvd ripper, and dvd ranger. Since I have been putting the videos on a media player, I have making them into an avi format. With wide screen movies it's been no problem. I have been using dvd ranger with an hd avi 1280 setting. With Magic Dvd ripper I don't change anything for avi setting. Does Freemake handle copyright protected dvds? I have been hesitant to use it for that purpose. I might download dvd shrink to get a piece of a dvd file and experiment on the settings.
Thanks.
startreksuite
startreksuite

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:49 pm

startreksuite wrote:So in ripping dvds I have used magic dvd ripper, and dvd ranger. Since I have been putting the videos on a media player, I have making them into an avi format. With wide screen movies it's been no problem. I have been using dvd ranger with an hd avi 1280 setting. With Magic Dvd ripper I don't change anything for avi setting. Does Freemake handle copyright protected dvds? I have been hesitant to use it for that purpose. I might download dvd shrink to get a piece of a dvd file and experiment on the settings.
Thanks.

Hi Smile
Nope, Freemake needs a decrypter.

N.B. MagicDVDRipper resolution: 640x360 (Wide Screen)
..............................................640x480 (Full Screen)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sanshoe Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi Nick, not sure if you are aware of the DVD plug in, it's a good free decrypter program, works in the background when you need it.

http://www.dvd43.com/

It works well with 1Clickdvd products.

http://www.lgsoftwareinnovations.com/download.asp

Haven't converted any movies to .AVI yet myself, may have to give it a try.

Hope this helps.
sanshoe
sanshoe
Extreme contributor
Extreme contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:03 pm

sanshoe wrote:Hi Nick, not sure if you are aware of the DVD plug in, it's a good free decrypter program, works in the background when you need it.

http://www.dvd43.com/

It works well with 1Clickdvd products.

Hi Smile
There are no end of quotes like this:
I have just installed win 7 64 bit and I have downloaded and installed dvd43 plug in 1.0.0.5 for use with 1 click dvd copy but it doesn`t remove the encryption. Can anyone please offer some advice?

http://www.lgsoftwareinnovations.com/download.asp

Haven't converted any movies to .AVI yet myself, may have to give it a try.

Hope this helps.

Hi Smile
There is no end of quotes like this:
I have just installed win 7 64 bit and I have downloaded and installed dvd43 plug in 1.0.0.5 for use with 1 click dvd copy but it doesn`t remove the encryption. Can anyone please offer some advice?
The latest version states compatible with Windows 8.
Yet I can't get it to work on my set up.

It starteksuite wants to.
He can use MagicDVDRipper to rip.
Then try Freemake video converter to convert.

O/T: How's 1Click with speed these days.
Using "Magic" Blu-ray Ripper.
I can rip/convert to mp4 so it plays on my Windows phone in just over 2 hours total. Wink

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img543/3786/22122012221530.png[/quote]

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sanshoe Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:35 pm

Just a clarification, Smile

In the FAQ at the DVD43 plug in link, it says it doesn't work with all copy programs.

Q. I installed DVD43 Plug-in on my computer. My copy program still complains that the DVD is encrypted. What am I doing wrong?
A.
It's more than likely that your copy program doesn't support decrypter plug-ins. Most DVD copy programs don't yet support decrypter plug-ins.
sanshoe
sanshoe
Extreme contributor
Extreme contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:44 pm

sanshoe wrote:Just a clarification, Smile

In the FAQ at the DVD43 plug in link, it says it doesn't work with all copy programs.

Q. I installed DVD43 Plug-in on my computer. My copy program still complains that the DVD is encrypted. What am I doing wrong?
A. It's more than likely that your copy program doesn't support decrypter plug-ins. Most DVD copy programs don't yet support decrypter plug-ins.

Hi Smile
I was using 1Click Copy Pro.

The quote in my previous post is from someone using 1Click Copy.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sanshoe Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:14 am

No problem Martin Smile

Just thought I'd clarify my post.
sanshoe
sanshoe
Extreme contributor
Extreme contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by startreksuite Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:17 am

So I feel like a dope. I remember when my wife used to vid so she used DVD shrink to get portions of videos (awesome program!). So I used it for this and Albert Sims Scrooge. I saw that Scrooge had bars on the side (definite sign of full screen) and home alone ripped in a window. I then played the original home alone dvd back, and sure enough it was a window! WTH! Is there a setting I have to adjust on my ripping program to fix this, or my computer? Christmas Vacation didn't have this issue!
Thanks for your replies! I might rip then convert if freemake will get the job done!
startreksuite
startreksuite

Back to top Go down

Post by lario48 Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:33 am

I do believe that the DVD43 Plug-in "only" works with 1Click products. Very Happy
lario48
lario48
Extreme contributor
Extreme contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by startreksuite Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:26 am

So I took the original mpg2 rip of home alone, and converted 2 different ways with freemake, one stretched original format, and one auto adjust with the widescreen format suggested above. Instead of getting a window I have a bay window (an improvement I guess.) I was reading a discussion on another video forum where some anamorphic dvds were made from 4:3s and converted to 16:9's so this window thing happens. since it's for my media player, I'll just stretch my tv screen, it fixes the problem. It's a hassle though. I like dvd43 with dvd shrink, and used the plug in when I was trying out 1click. since dvd ranger and magic dvd ripper have built in decrypters, I have been using those.
Thanks everyone!
startreksuite
startreksuite

Back to top Go down

Post by zebadee Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:48 am

Hi Smile
Just an update to an old thread.
DVD Ranger CinEx HD now does it all.
In one program.
Just about the quickest.
Quality as good as it gets.
This compared to VSO*, Magic & even CloneBD beta*.
DVD Ranger CinEx HD* is now my 1st choice.

*Need a decrypter installed

Follow friendsofudvdr on home alone dvd rip results in a square video Icon_f10   friendsofudvdr home alone dvd rip results in a square video 2014-019
zebadee
zebadee

http://www.friendsofudvdr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down